Parrot ASTEROID: A Range of Connected Solutions for the Car
By adapting Android(TM) for use in-vehicle for the first time ever, Parrot has created a platform for developing Internet-connected products: Parrot ASTEROID
At the 2012 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Parrot unveils three connected solutions for cars based on its ASTEROID platform and running on Android Operating System: Parrot ASTEROID CK, Parrot ASTEROID NAV and Parrot ASTEROID 2DIN.
These projects, which will be released in 2012, illustrate once again Parrot's technological savoir-faire and strengthen the company's position as a key player for in-vehicle voice-recognition and infotainment solutions.
Parrot ASTEROID platform: Android((TM)) for the car
Boosted by the development of smartphones, mobile Internet is experiencing exponential growth, and mobile web users have an affinity for Android((TM)): 26 percent of mobile phones sold worldwide are smartphones(1), and 52.5 percent of them run on the Android((TM)) OS.
Having anticipated customer demand, Parrot has spent three years working to adapt Android((TM)) to the car environment in order to create the ASTEROID platform.
Open-source, upgradable and multiplatform-compatible, Android((TM)) is a perfect fit within the Parrot product line.
Parrot ASTEROID platform: when the car is connected to Internet
Unveiled at the 2011 CES with the Parrot ASTEROID car radio, intended for after-market use, and the FC6100 module, intended for OEM products(2), the ASTEROID platform brought Android((TM)) into the car for the first time offering:
- Advanced hands-free phone features (simultaneous connection of two phones, automatic phonebook synchronization, voice recognition, noise reduction, echo canceling);
- Internet service via access to the 3G network (using a 3G key or tethering from a mobile phone) and connection to a GPS antenna;
- Music played from various sources, such as: iDevices, USB key, MP3 player, SD card or from a device equipped with Bluetooth® A2DP;
- Voice-recognition suitable for searching music files;
- Compatibility with all brands of Bluetooth® mobile phones on the market;
New solutions and technologies will become available to round out the existing features enhancing user experience and product connectivity even further.