CEOs and other leading executives from the automotive world will meet with Reuters journalists in a series of exclusive interviews at the annual Reuters Global Autos Summit on November 15-17 in Detroit, Paris, Los Angeles, London, Hong Kong, Beijing and Yokohama. During closed, on-the-record sessions at the Reuters bureaus, speakers will examine the state of the industry and assess the outlook for the sector. We will ask why investors should hang on, and whether the sector will prosper again. Exclusive stories and videos from the Reuters Global Autos Summit will be posted online at www.reuters.com/summits.
A year after “carpocalypse” – the 2009 crash in global auto sales – automakers and parts suppliers have cut costs to survive amid a recovery that has remained more muted than most analysts had expected.
Led by markets like China, the pace of the rebound is expected to quicken in 2012, but in the mature markets of North America and Europe, pre-recession sales and revenue levels are still three or more years away. WardsAuto forecasts a 13 percent bounce in global vehicle sales in 2010 to near 73 million cars and trucks. Europe is the only global region that will not increase sales in 2010, and the outlook for 2011 is also weaker than others.
Among the key issues for the industry: How will the market in China, the world’s biggest, evolve over the next year and beyond? How will government requirements for more fuel-efficient cars — and electric vehicles – shake up the industry’s sales pattern and competitive profile? Automakers are scrambling to take the lead in alternative fuel vehicles. General Motors and Nissan will debut electric vehicles in December, and Toyota is ready to expand its industry-leading hybrid lineup.
The hard-hit U.S. market also faces its own set of uncertainties. Those include the next acts for a post-IPO General Motors and Chrysler under the management control of Fiat.
Those are some of the questions that Reuters reporters will put to top auto industry executives during closed sessions. A package of stories, pictures and videos produced at the Reuters Global Autos Summit during each summit which can be seen at: http://www.reuters.com/summit/Autos10
Guests speaking at the Reuters Global Autos Summit will include:
* United Auto Workers President Bob King;
* Geely Auto Executive Director Lawrence Ang;
* Fisker Automotive CEO Henrik Fisker;
* Faurecia CEO Yann Delabriere;
* BorgWarner Inc Chairman and CEO Tim Manganello;
* Federal Mogul CEO Jose Maria Alapont;
* Asbury Automotive CEO Charles Ogelsby;
* Spyker CEO Victor Muller;
* Venturi CEO Gildo Pallanca Pastor;
* Toyota Motor Corp U.S. Brand Sales Chief Bob Carter;
* Ripplewood Holdings Industrial Partner Thomas Stallkamp;
* Continental AG President of NAFTA Region Jeff Klei;
* Continental AG Tire CEO Matthias Schoenberg;
* A.T. Kearney Vice President Dan Cheng;
* Hyundai Europe Vice President Allan Rushforth;
* AlixPartners LLP Managing Director John Hoffecker;
* Renault Head of Electric Vehicle Project Thierry Koskas;
* Azure Dynamics CEO Scott Harrison;
* Canadian Auto Workers President Ken Lewenza;
* Jaguar/Land Rover North America President Gary Temple;
* Nissan Motor Co Executive Vice President Colin Dodge;
* Valeo CEO Jacques Aschenbroich;
* Moelis & Company Head of Global Automotive and Steel Meyrick Cox;
* Chevrolet Europe President and Managing Director Wayne Brannon;
* Frost & Sullivan Senior Consultant, Automotive & Transportation Nicolas Meilhan;
* Saft CEO John Searle;
* Plastic Omnium CEO Laurent Burelle;
* Volkswagen Group of America CEO Jonathan Browning;
* Leuliette and Partners Founder and former CEO of Dura Automotive Systems Timothy Leuliette;
* Boston Consulting Group Senior Partner and Managing Director Xavier Mosquet;
* Compact Power CEO Prabhakar Patil; and
* PSA Peugeot Citroen Head of Finance and Strategic Development Frederic Saint-Geours.
Reuters Summits are a direct link to on-the-record news and views from top CEOs, central bank heads, presidents, government leaders, regulators and investors in a given industry, country or region. Reuters Summits bring together top executives from key industries in exclusive sessions with Reuters News global teams of specialist journalists. During the course of Reuters Summits, exclusive news stories and video interviews are posted on Reuters.com, providing valuable insight into specific companies, business sectors, and economies.