Ontario, Canada’s auto parts industry is growing. Companies across the province are well positioned to capture a growing share of the $1.1 trillion global automotive parts market.
Ontario is home to some of the most innovative auto parts companies in the world. With their support, Ontario has become a leader in the auto sector, producing more vehicles than any other state or province in North America since 2004.
Some examples of Ontario auto parts innovation:
• Ontario’s Centre for Research and Innovation in the Bio-Economy is partnering with Magna Exteriors and Interiors of Concord, Ontario to develop technology to use wood fibres in auto parts. The parts will be more sustainable, lighter and cost less to make.
• Support through Ontario’s Eastern Ontario Development Fund, is helping Autosystems build a global research and development centre for advanced vehicle lighting in Belleville, Ontario and upgrade its Belleville, Ontario plants to manufacture the new systems.
• Dana Holding Corporation has its global research and development centre for battery cooling systems in Oakville, Ontario and its global manufacturing centre for these systems in Cambridge, Ontario.
Providing the right climate to attract investment and drive innovation in the auto sector is part of the Ontario government’s plan to strengthen the economy.
“Ontario’s auto parts sector is integral to the strength of our automotive industry as a whole. Working together, we can ensure Ontario’s position as a leading auto parts innovator and manufacturer.”
Says Brad Duguid, Ontario Minister of Economic Development and Innovation
• This year, the Automotive Parts Manufacturers’ Association (APMA) celebrates its 60th anniversary and today marked the opening of the 2012 APMA Annual Conference and Exhibition.
• In 2011, Ontario ranked first of all major jurisdictions in North America in foreign direct investment per capita, according to fDi Intelligence.
• Ontario has cut taxes on business investment in half, making the province more competitive and encouraging new business investments.