The stars are aligned for vehicles featuring various automotive safety technologies supplied by TRW Vehicle Safety Systems Inc. (VSSI) — a subsidiary of TRW Automotive Holdings Corp. TRW VSSI supplied occupant safety components to six of the eight vehicles earning a five-star rating for both driver and passenger seating positions in front and side impact crash tests recently conducted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
In the NHTSA tests, the front and side ratings indicate the chance of a serious injury to occupants who are properly restrained by their seat belt in a frontal or side impact collision, with five stars being the highest rating that can be achieved.
The vehicles that earned NHTSA’s five-star rating and contain safety technologies provided by TRW include:
* 2006 Ford Explorer – rollover curtain airbag system; driver and passenger side airbags
* 2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac – rollover curtain airbag system and driver and passenger side airbags
* 2006 Honda Pilot – crash sensors, airbag control unit, crush zone and rollover sensors, side impact sensors
* 2006 Hyundai Tucson – rollover curtain airbag system; side airbag
* 2006 Mercedes Benz ML-Class – seat belt; driver and passenger side airbags; side airbag; and rollover curtain airbag system
* 2006 Toyota Tacoma pick-up (four-door) – crash sensors (airbag control unit and crush zone sensor)
“As the global leader in automotive safety systems, TRW offers world-class safety components and systems that are an integral part of the total occupant protection package,” said Doug P. Campbell, vice president of engineering for the occupant safety systems business of TRW Automotive. “We look forward to continuing our commitment in helping to meet our customers’ safety needs and in working to develop the advanced occupant safety systems of the future.”
With 2005 sales of $12.6 billion, TRW Automotive ranks among the world’s leading automotive suppliers. Headquartered in Livonia, Michigan, USA, the Company, through its subsidiaries, employs approximately 63,000 people in 25 countries. TRW Automotive products include integrated vehicle control and driver assist systems, braking systems, steering systems, suspension systems, occupant safety systems (seat belts and airbags), electronics, engine components, fastening systems and aftermarket replacement parts and services. All references to “TRW Automotive”, “TRW” or the “Company” in this press release refer to TRW Automotive Holdings Corp. and its subsidiaries, unless otherwise indicated. TRW Automotive news is available on the Internet at http://www.trwauto.com/ .